Good day everyone,
I would like to share with you my reflections, experience, and research on the benefits of meditation. It is one of the most important practises for healing, for allowing for change within and without….it simply assists, guides, and allows for transformation without only the emphasis on external efforts (or struggle)
Why do we need to meditate?
- It is an antidote to worry – to give our minds a break
- We need to re-boot a computer – it is allowing us to return more calmly to our lives with a fresh mental screen
- It is the best way to practise concentration on the here and now
- Worrying makes our world so small – meditation creates spaciousness, to connect with a world so much greater than the constricted one we have created for ourselves.
- We realise that life is so much larger than perhaps this current problem we are facing. Problems are transitory – it shall pass.
- Meditation is the best tool for transforming our minds, to retrain our minds from negative default mode.
- A time to become familiar with more positive mind states, to immerse ourselves in them and to experience for ourselves a taste of clarity, calmness, and kindness
- We reach a higher way of being which we gradually transfer to our day to day life.
Ponder this: THE MORE WE CAN LIVE IN THE PRESENT, THE MORE FULLY WE LIVE OUR LIVES AND THE MORE JOY WE FIND!
What are the health benefits?
- People who meditate decrease their visits to health professionals by more than a third
- When the body is in a state of deep calm, it repairs itself
- Stress interferes with our body’s state of balance and makes us less immune to disease and infection. Deep relaxation puts our bodies into a state of balance which is conducive to healing
- The calm in meditation eases stress levels throughout the day, lowering blood pressure by up to 50%
- Improves our heart function
- Assists with sleep disorders
- Improves general mood
- Improves concentration and helps us to focus
- Assists with anger management, anxiety management and general negativity management
Ponder this: IF MEDITATION CAME IN A PILL, WE’D PAY A FORTUNE FOR IT!
What is our Soul Purpose in meditation?
- It is a way to connect with the positive and create potential for joy and happiness and a whole new way of seeing life.
- It is a way to touch a much deeper intuition, to get to realisation of the inter-connectedness of Life
- It helps us to live outside of the drama
- When you are out of your mind, you are into experience. Experience the present moments fully.
- We connect with God, with Source every time we meditate. This super cedes all the experiences that we go through, our actions, our desires, our memories
- Therefore, every time we meditate, we clear, release old blockages, “wipe the slate clean” – it is like clean software for the soul
- Through meditation we can reach the state of pure bliss, pure energy, pure love, pure creativity, pure ONENESS
- It is listening, listening to wise counsel, listening to our hearts, knowing the answer
- It is to be still and know God
PONDER: MEDITATION IS THE TOOL GIVEN TO HUMAN BEINGS TO RECONNECT BACK TO THE SOURCE OF PURE LOVE
Where do we start?
- Create the time for meditation and be consistent and regular.
- Create a comfortable space for meditation where it is quiet and comfortable. You can have music, a pillow, a meditation stool, incense, and meaningful symbols in this space, if you wish.
- Sit in a comfortable position, cross legged on the floor or on a straight back chair – you can also use a meditation stool
- You can meditate in bed upon waking. This is optional and if that is the only time there is. It is way better than lying in bed dreading the day ahead!
- The best time to meditate is when you wake in the morning as your mind is still clutter free.
- The most important thing is you must find a time that works for you. It is personal preference – if you are consistent in this practise.
- You can try to meditate with your eyes slightly open – it does ward off sleepiness. Again this is optional.
- Still personal preference – others find evening sittings make you too alert or give too much energy too fall asleep
- According to Ayurvedic time, VATA time will be a good time to meditate i.e. between 02:00 and 06:00 or 14:00 and 18:00 – this helps to calm the
- To prepare your mind for meditation a calming activity may help – yoga, reading spiritual writings, – anything that helps you slow down and focus
The practice of meditation need not be complicated nor forced. Find a time and place that is convenient for you. Do not aim to switch off your mind or focus too much on the complexity of this exercise. Simply sit quietly and focus on your breathing, extending the time as you become more comfortable each day.
When you receive thoughts from the mind, simply receive and acknowledge them and return to your breathing. In time the mind will obey. Be consistent. Evolve. Heal.
In summary, join a community or weekly meditation group and open to the healing and benefits of this practice. It is a time to connect to Source. It is a time for your mind to shut down and bow down to Divine Wisdom. It is a time for the physical body to be restored and heal itself. You are guided to be still and breathe. Simply be and breathe.
Sending you beautiful moments of contemplation and guidance,